Links to Legal Resources
Connecting You to the Help You Need Right Now
The links below will direct you to information and resource pages on everything from legal issues to where to obtain government assistance. Each list of links is sorted alphabetically by topic or department. The Self-Rescue Manual is often a great place to start.
Consumer Law and Debt Collection
- Consumer Protection, Federal – The Federal Trade Commission receives complaints about problems that consumers have with companies and business practices.
- Consumer Protection, Idaho – The Idaho Attorney General Consumer Protection Division receives and investigates complaints from consumers about unfair or deceptive business practices.
- Debt Collection Law, Federal – Information about the federal law that protects consumers from unfair debt collection.
- Debt Collection and Lending, Idaho – The Idaho Department of Finance regulates debt collection, lending, banking, and related entities.
Courts, Laws, and Lawyers
- Courts, Federal (in Idaho) – Information about courts, cases, and procedures in the U.S District Court for Idaho.
- Courts, Idaho State – Information about courts, cases, laws, and procedures in the state courts of Idaho.
- Courts Self-Help Center, Idaho – Helps people who are representing themselves in non-criminal court procedures, offering forms, legal information, answers to FAQs, and links to legal resources.
- Family Law Self-Help, Idaho – The Idaho Judiciary offers this page with forms and information on divorce, custody, and other family law issues.
- Landlord/Tenant Self-Help, Idaho – The Idaho Judiciary’s resource page, containing forms and information about landlord-tenant issues.
- Legal Aid, Idaho – Nonprofit organization that promotes equal justice for the underprivileged and poor through legal representation, community outreach, and education.
- Small Claims Court, Idaho – Idaho state courts offer this information on procedures and forms for representing yourself in small claims court.
- State Bar, Idaho – Information about laws and lawyers from the Idaho State Bar Association.
- Statutes and Constitution Search, Idaho – Go here to look up Idaho state laws, sponsored by the state legislature.
- Tort Claim, Notice of – The Notice of Tort Claim Act is an Idaho law that contains specific procedures that must be followed before you can sue certain governmental entities.
- Disability Law, Federal (ADA) – Information about the federal Americans with Disabilities Act that protects the rights of the disabled.
- Disability Programs, Idaho – Links to Idaho state information and resources for persons with disabilities.
- Social Security Disability – Provides quick and easy access to comprehensive information about federal disability programs, services, laws and benefits, including SSDI.
Discrimination and Harassment
- Employment Discrimination & Harassment, Federal – The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) investigates complaints of workplace discrimination and sexual harassment.
- Human Rights Commission, Idaho – State agency investigates complaints and administers state and federal anti-discrimination laws.
- Boise Community Education Programs
- Boise State University, English as a Second Language – Programs designed for speakers whose first language is not English.
- Boise State University, International Programs – Programs for international students at Boise State University.
- College of Western Idaho – Community college courses and adult education.
- GED & Adult Education Links – Links to sites with information about obtaining your GED.
- Employee Rights, Idaho – State website with information on discrimination, human rights, the ADA, labor laws, etc.
- Job Listings & Searches, Idaho – State government page with links and resources for finding employment.
- Labor Dept., Federal – Information and services the U.S. Department of Labor offers for workers, including federal workers’ compensation.
- Labor Dept., Idaho State – Government page with information on job training, unemployment, labor laws, and more.
- Unemployment Benefits, Idaho – The Idaho Dept. of Labor’s electronic claims filing page for the unemployed.
- Wage & Hour Section, Idaho – This state agency receives complaints and administers Idaho’s minimum wage law, wage payment law, etc.
- Vocational Rehabilitation Div., Idaho – State agency assists persons with disabilities to prepare for, obtain, retain, or regain employment. Includes counseling, training, and job placement.
- Federal Government Main Website – Start here for everything related to U.S. government services, benefits, laws, and procedures.
- Health Agencies & Services, Idaho – Links to Idaho state agencies such as the Board of Medicine, public health services, and other health resources.
- Idaho State Government Main Website – Links to government programs and assistance available from the State of Idaho.
- Insurance, Idaho Dept. of – How to file a complaint regarding insurance with the State of Idaho.
- Legislature, Idaho – Legislative services and information, including how to contact your state senator and representative.
- Veterans Affairs, Federal – U.S. government agency administers health and benefit services for military veterans.
Medical and Health
Welfare, Public Assistance, and Charity
- Health and Welfare Dept., Idaho – Links to Idaho state assistance programs ranging from food and housing assistance to medical care and help for families.
- Medicaid and Medical, Idaho – Medical care program that serves as a safety net for people who have low incomes, disabilities, or are elderly.
- Self-Rescue Manual -Resources for every need, including financial, medical, counseling, employment, crisis,food, housing, and other assistance.
- Treasure Valley Community Resource Center – A comprehensive phone referral service and online directory putting people needing help in touch with various resources.
- Welfare Programs, Idaho – Food, cash, and assistance programs, including: Food Stamps; Child care; Child support; Medicaid; Home heating; Women, Infants, and Children Nutrition Program; and Telephone service.
- Industrial Commission, Idaho – The Idaho Industrial Commission is the agency that administers the workers’ compensation law in Idaho.
- Medicare and Work Comp – CMS is the federal agency that provides health coverage and administration through Medicare and Medicaid. This is the link to the section that relates to workers’ compensation and Medicare Set-Asides.
- Rehabilitation Division, Idaho Industrial Comm. – Offers job counseling services at no charge to Idaho workers injured on the job.
- State Insurance Fund, Idaho – The Idaho State Insurance Fund provides workers’ compensation insurance for many Idaho employers.
- Workers’ Compensation, Idaho – The Idaho Industrial Commission provides this page with links to information for injured workers.